Friday, July 24, 2015

Star San Slime - Answer from Five Star Chemicals

If you store any of your brewing equipment in a Star-San solution you may have noticed a slimy film on them after they have sat for awhile. I was unable to find an answer on-line so I emailed 5-Star (the maker of Star-San) and here is the reply I got:

Hi Matt, It's the surfactants in starsan coming out of solution. 

Cheers, 
Daisha Barnett 
Five Star Chemicals & Supply, Inc. 

So logically I asked if they had anything else I could use to store brewing parts in, to keep them sanitary right until I need them, and here is the answer: 

How long do you keep them in solution? Saniclean has surfactants as well. 

 I would clean them immediately after use and then throw in a bucket of starsan just prior to use. PH should be 3.5 or below and only needs to come in contact with solution for 30 seconds and you do not need to wait until it dries to use. Over time the chemicals will damage parts if they are stored in it. 

Daisha Barnett 
Five Star Chemicals & Supply, Inc.